Advertisement information: this post discusses an item bought with my own money.
Today is a review of the Super Serum Advance+ from iS Clinical.
I’ve really been loving this brand over the last 6 months! I first discovered them via Skin + Me, which is a personalised skincare prescription service that I currently use (more on this in another blog post!). They actually recommended the Cleansing Complex in the ‘My Routine’ tab and it has subsequently become one of my favourite cleansers to date, you can see that review HERE.
So, after my success with the cleanser I decided that I wanted to try more from them so I did some research on their vitamin C products and decided on the Super Serum Advanced+. I did consider trying out the Pro Heal Serum Advance+ but because it includes retinol and my Skin + Me prescription currently includes tretinoin, I thought it best to avoid! However, that one has been reported to be very good for acne so if you suffer from acne like me, that might be one to consider trying!
Before we move on to the review, I thought it may be helpful to have a refresh on vitamin C. So, as a reminder, the gold standard form of vitamin C is L-ascorbic acid and this ingredient can help to:
- Provides the skin with protection from free radicals which can cause oxidative stress to our skin cells, leading to damage with the structures of the skin and visible signs of ageing.
- Makes sun damage and spots of pigmentation on the surface of your skin less visible by inhibiting your skin’s melanin production (which is what causes skin discoloration like dark spots and pigmentation).
- Brightens dull skin.
- Because it’s highly acidic it accelerates the production of elastin and collagen by triggering the skin to heal itself. This helps to reduce red blotches left after spots and delay the signs of ageing by supporting the skin’s structure.
- It increases the effectiveness of sunscreen and gives the skin better protection from UV rays (mainly enhances UVA protection).
To read more about vitamin C and it’s derivative forms you can check out my blog post ‘EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VITAMIN C, HERE.
BRAND: iS Clinical
PRODUCT: Super Serum Advance+
INGREDIENTS: See bottom of page.
Benefits & Key Ingredients?
- Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps reduce hypertrophic scar tissue
- Safely lightens and helps correct hyperpigmentation
- Helps reduce fine stretch marks
- Provides UV photo-protection
- Successfully combines time-released vitamin C and Copper tripeptide growth factors to encourage significant collagen synthesis
- Provides extremely powerful antioxidant protection
- L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 15.0%: Scientifically-advanced, stabilised form of L-ascorbic acid providing time-released, continuous delivery. Stimulates collagen synthesis and promotes wound healing.
- Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5) 0.5%: Essential element required for enzymatic functions within all cells.
- Copper Tripeptide Growth Factor: Clinically proven to stimulate the synthesis of collagen in skin.
I’ve Got *Insert Skin Type Here* Skin, Can I use It?
Suitable for all skin types although those with sensitivity to L-ascorbic acid should proceed with caution and do a patch test!
My Experience With This Serum?
The first thing to mention is that this serum has no hot dog water smell! Now, if you’ve used serums with L-ascorbic acid before, you’ll recognise what I mean by that smell description! Amazingly this one didn’t have that smell, it didn’t have any scent to me.
It’s also a very pale yellow, almost clear, water-like consistency so when I initially started using it, I wondered if it was doing anything. Of course with continued use, I could see my skin starting to look brighter, the marks from acne scars starting to fade and my skin, generally, just looked more settled and felt hydrated.
I began using this serum every morning after a successful patch test but if you have sensitive skin or are prone to L-ascorbic acid reactions, I would start by introducing the serum to your skin slowly! I found I was able to use this serum every day from the get-go, despite using tretinoin at night, with zero irritation or sensitivity!
I have now finished my first bottle of this serum and whilst I was waiting for my second bottle to be delivered, I definitely noticed a decrease in brightness and overall hydration which only confirms to me how well this serum worked for my skin!
Because of how watery this serum is, I find it easier to drop it directly onto my skin BUT make sure the dropper never actually touches your face, otherwise you can introduce bacteria into the bottle!
How Do I Use This Serum?
I use this serum every morning, after cleansing and toning and before any other serums. Because L-ascorbic acid is acidic you want it to be the first serum on your skin to work its magic.
I apply 2 drops on my forehead and 2 on each cheek, so 6 drops in total. I rub it gently into my face and then press it into my skin, leave for 2 minutes before moving on to my next serum, which is usually niacinamide. Sometimes I will also use a facial roller after applying the Super Serum Advance+, to help press it into my skin.
It can leave a slightly tacky finish on the skin but that doesn’t bother me as I apply other serums and moisturiser on top of it which then eliminates the tacky feeling.
I also love that this serum has hyaluronic acid in it so I don’t have to use a separate hyaluronic acid serum, which really cuts down the length of my AM routine.
Gimme The Deets…
15ml = £74
30ml = £126
I purchased the 15ml one and it lasted me 3 months with everyday use. I prefer to use the smaller bottle as we know L-ascorbic acid can become unstable with time and exposure to heat and light. Since the packaging is a dropper bottle (not ideal, would be better to be in an airless pump bottle), which is opened every day with use, I prefer to have a smaller bottle and buy it every 3 months.
My 15ml bottle didn’t oxidise or ruin at all during the time I used it, which is encouraging!
I purchased this serum and the Cleansing Complex from Skin City, HERE.
POA = 9 months
Keep the bottle out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources like radiators/hot bathrooms etc.
Stick Or Spin Again?
I’ve already repurchased this serum so I think that says it all!
Have you tried anything from this brand? I’m thinking of trying their cult-product, the Active Serum next! Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.
Love & Knowledge,
S A M A N T H A
P.S. Don’t want to miss a blog post? Subscribe HERE to be notified by email of my latest post!
INGREDIENTS: Water/Aqua/Eau, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C, antioxidant – best), Hyaluronic Acid (antioxidant, skin-replenishing/restoring – best), Pentylene Glycol (texture enhancer – good), Urea (exfoliant, hydration, skin-replenishing – good), Glucose (skin-replenishing – good), Guanidine HCI (buffering – no rating), Tripeptide-1 (signal peptide, skin-restoring – best), Arbutin (plant extract – best), Polyporus Umbellatus (Mushroom) Extract (skin-protecting – no rating) Calcium Pantothenate (vitamin B5 – good), Asiaticoside (antioxidant, skin-conditioning – goodie), Asiatic Acid (skin-conditioning, stabilising – goodie), Madecassic Acid (skin-conditioning – goodie), Zinc Sulfate (preservative – poor), Glycerin (skin-replenishing/restoring – best), Phenoxyethanol (preservative – good).
*ratings allocated according to Paula’s Choice Ingredient Dictionary and Incidecoder.